Monday, September 29, 2014

Project Gratitude: Diego's Surgery (and Pyg and Lola fail the CGC)

In September 2013, Maisy became suddenly and critically ill. Our blog readers rallied around us, providing us with the emotional and financial support needed to get through a very stressful time. Although I will never be able to pay you all back, I can pay it forward through Project Gratitude.

Please email me at reactivechampion (at) gmail (dot) com if you have an individual or cause that you would like me to consider donating to.

I recently participated in a fundraiser for my friend’s foster dog, Diego. Diego has a broken foot (leg?) and needs surgery to fix it. Until that’s done, it hurts and he is crabby about being touched, which I totally get. So, we need to get surgery for him.

My friend organized a CGC test as a fundraiser. All the proceeds went directly to Diego’s surgery fund. I also kicked in an extra $20.

The CGC part… well, we proved that you can’t cram for the CGC. Both dogs failed, although I was still quite proud of them for trying so hard.

Lola failed on the friendly dog (she was soooooo excited to see a friend!) and the loose leash walking (not surprising- there were good sniffs there, and Lo’s brain stops in the presence of sniffs). She failed the come when called exercise (she was very enthusiastic, but ran right past me), but was allowed to retry it because her long line got tangled in a cone. She passed on the retry.

Pyg failed on the friendly dog (OMG FRIEND), the appearance and grooming (you may not brush me, no sir!), and the stay (not at all surprised). 

So, we failed, but the dogs both tried really hard, and considering how much (er, little) I've trained them, I really didn't expect they would pass. Mostly, I wanted to donate to a good cause and get a baseline on their training.

No comments: