Saturday, December 21, 2013

Project Gratitude: Secret Santa

In September 2013, Maisy became suddenly and critically ill. Our blog readers rallied around us, providing us with the emotional and financial support needed to get through a very stressful time. Although I will never be able to pay everyone back, I can pay it forward through Project Gratitude. Each month, I donate my time or money to a person or organization that needs it. Please email me at reactivechampion(at)gmail(dot)com if you know someone in need.

For this month's Project Gratitude, I played Secret Santa for one of my social work clients. This means I can't share too many details, but basically, this family just tugs at my heart like no other. For financial reasons, they recently had to move from a single-family home to an apartment. They brought their pets with them, but they've had difficulty affording things like food. For everyone. And while they can use food shelves for themselves, it's much harder to obtain pet food, so I bought two large bags of pet food for their dog and their cats.

For what it's worth, their local food shelf does give out pet food, just in very small quantities. I don't think people realize that some food shelves will accept donations for household goods (including pet food). For many low-income families, food shelves can mean the difference between eating and going hungry... for both them and their pets. So although I gave directly to a family, you can help keep pets in their homes by donating to pet food to your local food shelf.

No comments: